Diving into Istio Service Mesh for Kubernetes
Modern microservice architectures are complex and runs into operational challenges with connectivity, security, and observability. This talk focused on addressing those challenges with Istio service mesh in Kubernetes based deployments.
With Containers and Container Orchestration engine like Kubernetes, the deployments of microservice is trivial today. But getting operational insights into that complex network is not.
In this talk, I discussed about the operational challenges with microservice architectures:
- Service Discovery
- Load Balancing
- Failure Recovery
- Observability: tracing, metrics, monitoring
- A/B Testing, Canary rollouts
- Rate Limiting
- Access control, end to end authentication
- Service to Service encryption
The agenda included:
- Monolith to Microservices Roadmap
- Operational challenges with microservices
- How a service-mesh fits in to address those challenges
- What’s Istio?
- Istio Feature Walkthrough
- Demo with installation and configurations
This meetup was organized by Cloud Collective meetup group and event details are available here.